Wednesday, November 21, 2007

My Search for a Rhett

A couple of weeks ago I was sitting in my counseling session talking to my counselor about some of my recent issues. Out of no where she looks at me and says, " You are a Scarlett and you need to find yourself a Rhett"...

After saying this she went on to see if I understood what she meant from that statement. She was not sure if I knew anything about Gone with the Wind. What she didn't know is that I consider Scarlett O'Hara one of my role models.

I can remember the first time that I read the book Gone with the Wind. I was a sophomore in high school and once starting the book I was hooked. I will be the first to admit that at the beginning of the book I could not stand Scarlett because I thought that she was nothing but a whiny spoiled brat.

Through out most of the book my opinion of her did not change. She went throughout the book chasing after a guy that she could never obtain, but at the same time he was someone who never could have made her happy. I grew really frustrated with her because she had (at least in my opinion) this amazing man that would have done anything for her and yet she didn't realize this until the end of the book when according to Rhett it was too late for them.

I hated the way that this book ended because more than anything I wanted Scarlett and Rhett to be together because in my opinion they were perfect for each other. While this is where Margaret Mitchell left us, I am grateful for Alexandra Ripley and her sequel called Scarlett. While the Scarlett in Gone with the Wind was a bit immature, I am glad to say that she grows up a little in the book Scarlett.

The reason that I have made Scarlett O'Hara one of my role models is because once she figures out that she really does love Rhett, she has the most amazing determination to win him back. She does whatever it takes to achieve her goals and she does not settle for anything but the best. This is the person I want to be!

I went back in for a session tonight and we picked up on the whole Gone with the Wind analogy. We decided that most of the men that have come and gone through my life are not even fit to be considered an Ashley and no one has come close to being a Rhett. I think the best part of this whole discussion was when we figured out that my ex husband would be similar to one of the Yankee soldiers who is there to ruin her life. Just like the Yankee's in the book, my ex husband will stop at nothing to make me feel inferior to him. He plans on doing what ever it takes to accomplish this. What he doesn't count on is my inner strength. I refuse to let him bully me around any longer!

Over the past couple of weeks I have been pondering my counselor's statement about finding a Rhett. I have done a lot of soul searching and have come up with the criteria that I am looking for in my Rhett. The list goes something like this:

JAIME’S IDEAL MAN
PHYSICAL:
  • Taller than me
  • Attractive
  • Gorgeous inside and out
  • Athletic
  • Good dresser (or at least willing to take fashion advice)

PERSONALITY:

  • Easy to get along with
  • Good listener
  • Loyal to me in all things
  • Strong and mighty
  • Not afraid to do what is right and be different for it
  • Humble
  • Playful
  • Full of empathy and compassion
  • Patient
  • Knows what he wants in life
  • Good sense of humor

SPIRITUAL:

  • Religious
  • Firm in the faith
  • Righteous priesthood holder
  • Wants to attend the temple and does on a regular basis
  • Attends all church meetings
  • Strong testimony
  • Fulfills all church callings
  • Integrity
  • Wants to serve a mission with me
  • Has morals and values
  • Helps to enforce scripture study, prayer and FHE in the home

MISC:

  • Must love to watch and/or participate in sports
  • Accepts me for who I am
  • Thinks I am amazing all the time, not perfect because that is not true, but amazing.
  • Wants to be with me
  • Trust
  • Respect
  • Loves my family and my family loves him
  • Thinks I am a princess and treats me like one
  • Hard worker
  • Challenges Me
  • Someone I can be myself with
I know that this may be a lot of things to ask for in a Rhett and some people may think that I am asking for too many things but frankly I spent 3 1/2 years of my life settling for a Yankee Soldier. As God as my witness I will never settle again! :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are all good qualities. I think I have a lot of them. I like your blogs.