Friday, October 3, 2008

Genealogy... I am doing it!!

I just had an amazing experience! I have been really big into doing genealogy for about 5 years now. I have typed name after name into PAF. My mom's side of the family has a lot of information... my dad's on the other hand not anywhere near as much. My dad's dad (my Grandpa Malone) was a convert to the church and as far as I know, the only member. I found some information on his family from a letter that was written to him by a cousin. It basically has some names but no dates. I went to the Stake Genealogy Center in August and was told that I needed to find dates. I have since let that go to the back of my mind while my life has been busy with work... In the past couple of weeks I have really started thinking a lot about my family and the need to find these members. The other night I was playing around on the internet and came across this website called "The Malone Family Directory"... Once seeing this I immediately went and looked at it. I came across the name of a man named Fran Malone. On the webpage was an email address if anyone had any questions. I decided to give it a try because what did I have to lose... I sent him an email that said that I was looking for information about a Billy Malone who came over from Ireland in the 1700's and then settled in Virginia. I then asked if he had come across anything about him while he was doing his research.
The next morning I woke up to an email back from Fran. He told me that he needed some information about my grandfather and his father... Luckily that was the information that I had! He also told me not to be discouraged. I was so excited to hear from Fran! I sent him an email back right away letting him know that I would get him the information as soon as I got home. I hurried home from work that night and emailed him all the info I could find... And then tried to wait patiently for his response.
The next night I got a long email from him with all the information that I needed that I had been having trouble finding. I am so grateful to have been able to find Fran! I am also extremely excited to have finally found my dad's family!

0 comments: